Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 2020 filled with Memories

March 2020 will definitely be a month that we'll remember for a long time. Hopefully, my kids will remember the fun times than the craziness.
At the beginning of the month, the kids celebrated Dr. Seuss at school with a dress up day of  storybook characters.

Even though Cody is at home with me, he still wanted to participate. He was from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Regina was the mouse from If you give a Mouse a Cookie.

Bruce was the tree from Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

Jennie started using my phone to call and text her cousin Lizzie. I find lots of pictures of her and strange emoji conversations that I don't understand afterward. However she is so happy to have a chance to feel more independent.

We had a simple St. Patrick's Day celebration. Pizza and cookies with green frosting plus our traditional Lucky Charms Cereal for Breakfast. (and Dinner the next day)


While shopping, I found this book! This was Jennie's favorite book when she was a baby/toddler. I read it over and over again. The original is taped together and has chewed marks all over it. I've been searching for years to find a cheap copy of it. 


Spring Break from School came early this year and lasted for two weeks because of COVID-19 out break and Idaho governor issuing a stay at home order. I wasn't completely prepared to have them home for that long without something to do so we made it a celebration. Thankfully, I had stocked my art supply closet with little things throughout the year.

Bruce learned how to do some hand sewing. He would be great at it if he had the patience to practice before wanting to take on a big project. (and I wan't prepared for a big hand sewing project like he wanted.) Regina is learning to crochet as well, but she is running into the same problem as Bruce. Their attention span and patience for long projects to get results isn't there yet.

Luckily, we had some model clay on hand. The kids enjoyed creating their own sculptures. Jennie made a rainbow with a pot of gold, Regina made a bunny with a carrot, Bruce made a bumble bee, Cody made a monster, and Kyle helped me make a bumble bee.


We had a Barbie and Ken Fashion Show. The Girls really liked deciding everyone's outfit and Kyle liked to help pick out the Ken Dolls.



We also painted some wood cut outs that a neighbor gave us. I discovered most of our paints are dried up, but we had just enough to finish this project.

We made a rainbow for a friend to hang in her window. Something a lot of people did during the stay home order because of COVID-19. It made it fun to go on walks and spy the different rainbows that people made.

Be of Good Cheer

On a Saturday, we went as a family to send some cheer to others by decorating their driveways. These are a few of the driveways we did with the messages we left. (I am working on learning modern calligraphy, so it was lots of fun to practice.)

Think Happy Thoughts


Scatter Sunshine

Sending warm hugs from a distance

Love is everywhere

Spring has Sprung

Sending Smiles through the window


Another day we had a paper bag fashion show. The kids made their own outfits.

What do you do with all the TP tubes? We made mini-houses.

We just had to get out of the house! The playgrounds and park equipment are all closed. Luckily, the walking trails are still open. We bundled up and headed to Wilson Pond. It was a nice little hike and we saw lots of ducks and geese.

Silly String Attack! The kids loved playing with silly string. Next time we need bigger cans.



Stain Glass Window--sidewalk chalk style. After the rain washed away our fun quotes/pictures, we decided to get creative again. The kids were really confused while I got it set up, but they loved the result once we finished.


One of the benefits that this extra long family time has been seeing the kids play together. They have been real troopers including everyone in their play. It has been nice to slow down and not run all over town for extra activities.

I saw this piece of fabric at the thrift store and knew immediately that it was for Regina. She loved it especially when I sewed it into a pair of overalls---something she has been wanting for a long time.

For the most part, the weather has been good and we are blessed for a great big backyard. However a few of the days have been rainy. Cosmic Kids Yoga to the rescue! 


Finally to celebrate the last day of Spring Break, the kids asked to make rain clouds with shaving cream. This is one of their favorite activities.

The last day of March, the kids went "back" to school. Their school building is closed at least until April 20th, but the school district had a plan in place for this stay at home order. On March 16th, they sent the kids home with school issued ipads and a plan to start distance learning on March 31st. The kids did great on their first day back. A few tears of frustration were shed and they realized that I won't let them rush through assignments so they can just play. 
March came in like a lamb and definitely went out like a lion. To top off all the craziness, an earthquake happened on the last day. I was making dinner and the kids were watching TV. Regina was the first to recognize it. I wasn't quite sure what it was and thought it was the wind, but once I noticed the chandelier and pictures where swaying, I knew what we were experiencing. No damage from it, just a story to tell and the perfect way to end such a crazy month.

No comments: