Sunday, August 12, 2018

My favorite dress remade

 My Senior Pictures
My mom made me a dress for my senior pictures in 1999. I quickly fell in love with it. This dress was made by combining three sewing patterns. It was my go to dress because it fit so well and looked so good on. I even took this dress with me on my mission. (I have a picture of me in it while riding a bike on the mission) After several years of use, it had seen better days, but I just couldn't part with it.
Since we couldn't recreate the pattern of the dress, my mom suggested that I take the dress apart and make a new dress from the old one. No way! It was my favorite dress--never mind it was falling apart and didn't fit through the ribcage anymore. So I did the next best thing. I made a pattern by carefully tracing each piece of the dress. After making a sample piece of the bodice of the dress, I was ready to begin sewing. Besides making my own pattern for this dress, the fabric it slippery and has distinct vertical lines running through it. (Two things that I try to avoid when I usually sew.)

I did it! It took one day of making the pattern, two days of sewing, and a lot of patience. I am so happy with how it turned out. When I first began really learning to sew 10 years ago, I never imagined I could get to this level of sewing. 


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Looks great! Good job!